Comprehensive Eye Examinations
Comprehensive eye examinations are very important not only to determine if you need correction to see well but also to maintain the health of your eye. While some eye diseases have obvious symptoms such as red eyes, light sensitivity, or flashing lights, many serious, vision-threatening problems have no warning signs. Glaucoma, for example, will present no symptoms until actual vision loss occurs. Since serving our clients throughout the Slidell and Metairie areas, proper eye care and evaluations have helped with preventing future vision loss. Comprehensive eye exams can also detect diabetes, hypertension, retinal holes or tears, and other important treatable medical conditions.
Preparing for your eye examination at Ellen Schneider MD
When a person calls to make an eye appointment, he or she should be prepared to describe any current vision problems. In addition, patients should ask if the eye examination will affect their vision temporarily and if they will need someone to drive them home. They may also want to ask about the cost of the exam if their insurance plan will cover any of the cost, and how payment is handled.
Before going to the appointment, patients should gather information to help answer questions the eye care professional may ask:
- Symptoms of current eye problems (flashes of light, difficulty seeing at night, temporary double vision, loss of vision, etc.).
- Eye injuries or eye surgeries (approximate dates, where treated).
- Family history of eye problems, glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, etc.).
- Any questions about their vision, glasses, contacts, laser surgery, etc.
- A list of all Prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs currently being used.
- Their general health condition (allergies, chronic health problems, operations, etc.).
- Patients should also take the following items with them to their eye appointment: glasses, contact lenses or both.
- A list of all Prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs currently being taken.
- Medical or health insurance card.